This article also includes cool tips for using floatables in the water.
For your next outdoor adventure involving your favorite lake, creek or body of water, check this outâ€¦Relax in the water without floating away!
(I admit it’s not my best outdoor tip, but it does solve a problem) ?
While trying to relax in a water tube floating on a small stream, I was constantly paddling to stay in one area. It was difficult to NOT let the water current carry me downstream.
I used an empty plastic jug, filled with stones, as an anchor tied to my tube. It worked perfectly!
The original idea materialized while vacationing at The Finger Lakes in NY, USA. While resting in my tube on Seneca Lake, the ripples created by the boat traffic kept pushing me inland, towards the shoreline. Then again back in PA, while hanging out in a mountain stream, the strong current kept pulling me downstream. Problem solved with the redneck anchor!
So here is my ‘redneck way’ on how to relax on a floatableâ€¦without floating away! No more fighting to keep yourself from drifting downstream or back onto land.
HERE’S WHAT YOU NEED and HOW TO DO IT
(1) floatable, (1) plastic gallon jug and some rope. Fill the jug with stones, tie the rope to the handle. Then carry it with you and the tube into the water where ever you want to stay floating in place. Tie the rope to a tube handle and toss into the water. That’s it! Now it’s time to relax without the fear of the tube carrying you away.
NOTE: Yes, they do make small anchors. But who wants to haul around a heavy metal object when you can simply re-purpose an everyday, recyclable item like a plastic jug? However, if you’re lucky to have a place to actually store your own anchor, here are a few suggestionsâ€¦for SMALL ANCHORS, CLICK HERE.
HERE’S THAT LIST AGAIN
- 1 floatableâ€¦ An inner tube, raft, canoe, kayak, etc.
- 1 plastic gallon jug (with handle).
- Rope. Preferably poly, stranded rope.
QUICK TIPS for using the redneck anchor with water tubes
- For the plastic jug, use one that has a screw-on cap.
- After you fill the jug with stones, fill with water too. It adds more weight.
- Use polypropylene rope. It is a lightweight, waterproof fiber. Also, most types are of a fluorescent color making it easy to see in the water. The rope that I use is also snag and mildew resistant. Amazon has a great deal on a fluorescent rope that floatsâ€¦SEE IT HERE
- If using a plastic floatable such as a tube or raft, use one that has hard plastic handles. It’s easier to tie the rope onto. I recently purchased a few tubes that I am very pleased with the quality. They come with a head rest which is great for neck support, especially if you plan to take a nap! The price may surprise you too! CHECK IT OUT HERE.
- Use carabiners. These gadgets are very useful for a quick and easy connect/dis-connect of the anchor (plastic jug handle) to tube AND the same for connecting multiple tubes. Have a party in the water while everyone stays ‘connected’. I recommend the aluminum, spring loaded ones. Their multi-colored tooâ€¦easy to spot in the water. They’re inexpensive with free shipping too! Here’s what I useâ€¦CLICK HERE
- I recommend inflating your tubes on location (inflated tubes take up a lot of space). I use an electric blower that inflates themâ€¦fast. I purchased an inverter which plugs directly into my car’s 12V receptacle. Then I plugged the electric blower into that. They’re both inexpensive and come in handy for other uses too. Check out the blower HERE — The inverter HERE. TIP: You can purchase blowers that have the 12V jack, eliminating the need for the inverter.
- Enjoy tubing with friends! Tie (connect) multiple tubes together for a party on the water. Only 1 redneck anchor is needed!
NOW IT’S TIME TO RELAX IN THE WATER WITHOUT FLOATING AWAY!
Oh, I almost forgot. This is important. If you are like me in any way, you also enjoy cold beverages while chillin’ in the warm weather, right?
You need to see thisâ€¦it’s a FLOATABLE COOLER!
Imagine hanging out with your friends in the water along with some icy cold drinks? No need to get out of the water for a frosty beverage!
FOR MORE INFO AND A CLOSER LOOK AT THE FLOATABLE COOLER, CLICK HERE
You’ll receive exclusive offers that we offer to our mailing list only.